Sunday, February 6, 2011

Finally a warm day!

Even though this is southern Mississippi, it has been a cold winter! Today was beautiful, about 64 degrees and I decided not to work in the doll studio today, but to enjoy the outside! As I am not a football fan, I went to nearby Vicksburg with my sister-in-law from Florida. We walked around some of the beautiful neighborhoods with antebellum homes. In addition to being a doll maker, I have always been an interior designer at heart. My husband and I have restored 3 old homes, Collina being our "masterpiece". It took me a year and a half, but I sewed all the draperies in our home, making them as "period appropriate" as possible. There are 14' ceilings in our house, so that means lots of fabric! It has been a labor of love for both of us; my husband is extremely talented with finishing woodwork, floors, etc. He also renovated an old building behind Collina for my doll studio. I just feel so fortunate to be able to do something everyday that I love so much! I was thrilled last August to be accepted into the prestigious Mississippi Craftsmen's Guild, so I am preparing in advance for their huge show in December in Jackson, Mississippi which attracts people from all over the US. Doug is going to help me design displays for my booth, and I think I have him talked into starting to make hand-crafted doll furniture for me to use as great displays for the dolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment